Have you set your goals for 2018 yet?
Have you set your goals for 2018 yet? Over half of adults set new years resolutions/goals and unfortunately many of them give up within the first month. I attended a great presentation by Stacey Berger this Tuesday morning and it has inspired me to write this blog on goals! Turning goals into habits and having a clear plan on what you want them to be is essential. The first step to creating your goal is to have an idea or thought of it. That thought then creates an emotion or feeling. That emotion or feeling then creates an action and from that action you will see a result (your goal reached). This is called the results formula and is something to keep in mind when you are thinking of your goals. Here are a few tips and tricks I learnt from Stacey to help keep you focused on your goals this year:
Be clear on exactly what your goal is.
- It is so important for people to not only think of what their goal is, but to write it down and envision that goal and what it will look like once it is accomplished. You will also want to start making your goals into habits! You can make your goals into habits by setting reminders for yourself, and by consistently acting on your reminder.
Make a decision.
- How committed are you to your dream? Making a decision on a goal is also an essential step. It is one thing to think of a goal and dream of it, but to make a decision to do it is what you need to do. Even if it is just taking a small step in the direction of that goal, it is still a step!
- There is an invisible zone around you and what you are comfortable with and this is your comfort zone! There are 4 ways you can know that you are hitting this wall and being held back from reaching your goals.
- Delay – you begin to delay and put things off. For example, going to the gym when you are wanting to live a healthier lifestyle but think “I will start next week”. Try to refrain from doing this procrastinating and get it done. When you put those shoes on, and hit the gym for an hour you will feel so proud of yourself when you are done!
- Distracted – don’t let yourself get distracted. This is very easy to do, to sink back into your comfort zone. Keep your eye on the prize and keep moving forward.
- Dissuasion –Everyone has this. The little voice in the back of your head saying, “You really think you can accomplish that?” “You’re going to do what!?”. When this little voice decides to pop up, push it back down an don’t listen to it. Because you CAN accomplish what you set your mind to.
- Disaster – at this point disaster has struck and you are back at square one. That is okay. Put your big girl/boy pants on and get back to it!
Get out of your comfort zone.
- Every life coach and successful person will tell you this. Well, they are right! If you want to accomplish a big goal you need to step out of the normal routine of life, aka. comfort zone, with your work, and personal relationships and take the step toward your goal. Stepping outside of your comfort zone will not be easy and sometimes will make you feel fearful but it will be so rewarding in the end.
Befriend your fear!
- Like I said before, stepping out of your comfort zone can be scary at times. This is where it helps to get a support system that works for you. Find a mentor, life coach, or simply just share your goals with a friend. Having a support system can help enormously with stepping out side of your comfort zone!
There are many more tips and tricks you can do to hit your goals, and these are only a few of them. I hope you can take these tips and tricks to help you reach your goals this year. Wishing you the best of luck in 2018!